Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Dreaded Pink Blush

Q: I did a couple of tests with Debitus silver stain on Waterglass and Spectrum clear vintage. You are right about 40% silver sulfide: It was the best. 20% sulfide was good to ( only for vintage ). Silver Chloride - poor results. But I still have a problem: on some samples I have some foggy light brown-reddish color that is impossible to remove in the areas where the stain is light. I don't know what could be (with Reusche in the past I did not have such problem).
I mixed the stains with sandalwood oil and little lavender oil and fired at 1050 F ( electric kiln ) - 500 F/hour, ramp hold -1 hour, off. I'm sending in attach a photo with 3 samples. Where the stain have a very light appearance - in reflective light I can see this brown-reddish foggy color Any idea what is wrong?

A: You are not alone in reporting this problem. I have experienced it myself with some stains. I do not know the exact cause. It may be related to the clay body firing onto the glass. A dilute solution of hydrofluoric acid would probably do the trick. Personally I have found it easier to switch to a different stain. I typically reach for Reusche 1383 as my go to stain these days. I find the gum in clay body is not as impossibly virulent as some of the other stains allowing me to even stipple the application with a scrub if I need to. Also I have not experienced the dreaded pink blush that you describe with this stain. If you do use hydrofluoric exercise the appropriate safe guards. If anyone reading this  can suggest another solution please speak up!



No comments:

Post a Comment